Reduce Sports Injuries With Mouth GuardsLake Forest, CA
Playing on a sports team is a staple of any childhood from playing little league baseball to playing college football. Regardless of the sport, players will benefit from wearing the proper protection such as shin guards, shoulder pads, helmets, cleats and mouth guards. While most sports go over the necessary gear that the child will need to wear to each game, they may not require mouth guards. With that in mind, mouth guards can be the deciding factor that saves a child's teeth.
Risks of Store-Bought Mouth Guards
While many parents will invest in a store-bought mouth guard, they may not realize the risk. With store-bought mouth guards, the mouth guard will not be a perfect fit for the child's teeth. Due to the improper fit, a child will face a greater risk of damaging his or her teeth during the sport or game. A professional mouth guard will be a perfect fit to the child's teeth that will not run the risk of falling out during the game.
Several reasons why a professional mouth guard will be much better than a store-bought brand over the counter include:
- Less of a chance for the mouth guard falling out on a regular basis
- The mouth guard will be a comfortable fit for the child
- Better and more efficient protection for the teeth
- Made with a more durable yet still completely harmless material
Check out what others are saying about our properly fitted custom-made mouth guards on Yelp: Reduce Sports Injuries With Mouth Guards Lake Forest
The Mouth Guard Process
The process for a mouth guard is harmless and does not normally take more than two appointments. During the first appointment, we will take a mold of the child's mouth and images as well. Next, we will send the measurements and mold to a dental lab where they will custom-make the mouth guard. The child will return to our office once the mouth guard is complete. We will see if the mouth guard fits and make any necessary adjustments. After the appointment, the child will have the necessary protection to help keep his or her teeth safe during physical activities.
If you are interested in getting a properly fitted mouth guard for your child, then give us a call at (949) 258-7433 and schedule an appointment today.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Family Dental Terminology
- Custom Impression
- Custom impression involves using trays to create an exact replica of the patient’s teeth before creating the necessary restoration to enhance the overall experience.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Injection-Molded Mouthguards
- Injection-Molded Mouthguards help to create a much more specific fit with a type of molding material that fills available space instead of requiring a patient to boil the mouthguard in hot water.
- Laminated Pressure-Formed Mouthguards
- Laminated pressure-formed mouthguards requires a process that involves applying high heat and pressure to form a mouthguard that meets the needs of the patient.
- Mandible Fracture
- A mandible fracture is a fracture in the lower jaw that breaks through the mandibular bone and is normally a result of trauma.
- Oral Trauma
- Oral trauma is any form of trauma or force that results in an injury of the mouth or teeth. Oral trauma can occur after an accident, injury or disease.
- Occlusion describes the mandibular and maxillary rows of teeth meeting when the patient bites down. If a patient does not have a healthy bite, they are struggling with malocclusion.
- An overjet is a bite orientation that results from the maxillary central incisors (top center teeth) protruding over the mandibular central incisors (bottom front teeth); this may also be known as “buck teeth” by patients.
- Storage Modulus
- The storage modulus is the temperature at which we can store certain elastic materials in dental composite resins.
- Vacuum Formed Mouthguard
- A vacuum formed mouthguard involves customizing the mouthguard to match a mold of the individual patient’s teeth for a perfect fit.
Back to top of Reduce Sports Injuries With Mouth Guards
When Is a Sports Mouth Guard Recommended? This page explains the different situations in which it is prudent to wear a sports mouth guard.mouth guards are laminate or soft plastic devices placed in the mouth to protect the teeth, gums and tongue during physical activities. The vast majority of NFL players but for Cam Newton…
Preventative Dental Care From Your Lake Forest Dental Office: Reducing Your Risk Of Getting Cavities
Our Lake Forest dental office provides preventative dental care to help keep our patients in excellent oral health and reduce the likelihood they will develop cavities or infections.Preventative dental care can be proactive, rather than reactive, by cleaning teeth on a regular basis. We can help prevent cavities from forming by strengthening teeth through the…
At Stunning Smiles of Lake Forest, we are a family dentist who focuses on providing preventative dental services so our patients can maintain healthy and beautiful teeth for life. Our general dentist solutions include routine dental care, like dental cleanings, and more in-depth services, like endodontics and periodontics. If you have not visited the dentist…
Maybe it was because of a lack of insurance or you put off going to the dentist because of anxiety. Either way, if it has been years since you last went to the dentist, it can seem like a nerve-wracking experience. However, after reading this article, you will know exactly what to expect and have…